PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus incident in SNN
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2011, 17:39
NigelOnDraft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 points...

When did the NW come off? Well, since:
The axle of the right nose wheel had failed, resulting in the departure of this wheel. The wheel was subsequently located in the grass to the left of RWY 24 Touch-down Zone.
and
self-positioned for an Instrument Landing System (ILS) approach to Runway (RWY) 24
Landing 1:
elected to aim for a touch-down at the end of the RWY 24 Touch-down Zone.
&
the aircraft experienced an extended landing flare. Engine torque was increased during the initial flare and then progressively reduced in stages. The PF subsequently stated that difficulty was experienced in getting the aircraft to settle on the runway during this time. The PF became increasingly concerned about the remaining length of runway available and decided to positively land the aircraft by applying a forward input on the control column
So, if the NW broke off on the 1st landing, depite aiming to land at the end of the LZ, floating well beyond that, before eventually touching down, the NW was found abeam the "LZ", can 'accelalt' explain how a NW detaching at 100K? goes backwards a few thousand feet?

Bearing in mind Landing 2:
The final touch-down occurred at a pitch angle of 8° nose down and a G-spike of 2.3G. At this point the Blue hydraulic system lost pressure.
and
This showed the aircraft with the nose wheel collapsed
[NB 1st landing was much less 'g'] I would say it is fairly likely the Nose Leg collapse, Hyd Fail and NW detaching were fairly simulataneous.

So accelalt, can you let us know how you deduce
Its pretty clear - nose wheel lost during first attempt to land
??

Regarding
I am told that had such an event occured in Aer Lingus, then, while getting the best possible support from the company, the crew would not operate till an official report was completed. I have every bloody right to comment.
in my airline, yes, crew will be suspended post an incident. Various reasons, most of which are pretty obvious. However, reinstatement I would not think, even in Aer Lingus, require 'an official report was completed'. A parallel internal investigation will occur within the company, and they and the formal investigating team will work together. Reinstatement, if appropriate (and possible re-training), would normally occur fairly quickly, and that process will not be made public.

Think BA38 - do you really think the crew were suspended until the final report came out?