PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus incident in SNN
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2011, 13:52
Cyrano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by accelalt

Reread the report - maybe the AAIU can add some pictures that will make it easier for you. Its pretty clear - nose wheel lost during first attempt to land.
Forgive me, but I've reread the report and missed the reference to losing the nose wheel during the first attempt to land. The main paragraph dealing with the first landing attempt before the go-around says:
An airport security camera recording (CCTV3) confirmed a touch-down with a significant nose-down attitude. The FDR recorded a G-spike (normal acceleration) of 1.7 G. The aircraft immediately bounced back into the air. The PF applied power and initiated a go-around. During the go-around the undercarriage was retracted and normal cockpit indications were observed by the flight crew. No warning tones sounded during this landing and go-around.
I'm not commenting on the rights or wrongs of not subsequently standing down the crew, but you assert specifically that the AAIU report makes it pretty clear the nosewheel was lost during the first landing attempt. Could you quote the relevant bit of the report, please?