PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2011, 13:16
HarryMann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The PF asked for NU, the system delivered. The PF also decided that TO/GA was a good idea, again assisting in NU.
Well, the pilot was asking for 'more G' actually, a moot point maybe, but true... and when not sensed (howsover) as 'more g' maybe that was the clue to something being very wrong... possibly, subject to poor buffet and nose-down.. the only (tactile) clue at all.

On the power steering analogy, I find myself helpless not to comment, as I find too that has completely destroyed many driver's ability to steer accurately, or hold the wheel properly with two hands (at 10 to 2 O'Clock) such that in a moment of crisis, any meaningful avoiding action could ever be taken; some drivers, seemingly bunched up behind the wheel, with a laissez faire one-handed grip in the most strange of places (even right down the bottom) are unlikely to be able to input more than 10 or 15 degrees wheel input... even after 2 to 3 whole seconds of reaction time

NB. The steering wheel will save your life easily as often as the brakes, sometimes more so...

NB2. IMHO, this is 'on' topic.. witness the likely appalling stick handling skills... treating the stick as just another appendage, is somewhat akin to the modern power steering driver's complete failure to honour the steering wheel as a vital life & death control (usually though its not them in their massive heavy & expensive energy absorbing steel box who suffers, but a pedestrian or occupant of an older or smaller car !)

Last edited by HarryMann; 26th Aug 2011 at 13:33.