PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2 dead in Vic NW of Melb at Wallup
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2011, 12:49
Howard Hughes
Sprucegoose

Location: Hughes Point, where life is great! Was also resident on page 13, but now I'm lost in Cyberspace....
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does the "low bar" that you complain about apply to the ABC chopper? Or the 206 at Lake Eyre. Or the 210 at Kunnunurra? At the moment there is no evidence that the Cherokee 180 that crashed near Nhill was any less well maintained, or the pilot any less diligent. Indeed, while its unlikely, the aeroplane might even be in the charter category for all we know. Instead, there is just a lot of finger pointing because the pilot was a private pilot and not possessing the elevated status of CPL or ATPL.
Old Akro, could you please point out where I have made a direct reference to either the pilot, or aircraft concerned in this incident? My only reference was to say that following this incident, now may be a very good time to review the way Angel Flight operates.
And why should a small not-for-profit be setting itself up as knowing better than CASA? Why do you think my family's life is worth less than someone I meet through Angel Flight? If you think the PPL standards are too low, then lets argue that case. If you think Airwork maintenance standards are too low, then lets argue that case. And if there is a good argument for either, then let's take it to CASA.
Once again you seem to have missed my point, or perhaps I have not delivered it succinctly enough. I have not said that the standards are too low, nor had a go at private pilots, more that all pilots (and in particular organisations) should be striving for a higher standard than the 'bare minimum'. There is no need to change the minimums, nor dictate to CASA, simply say here is the minimum, I want to aim for a higher level/standard and set appropiate goals. I would hope that is what most are doing anyway!
I presume you have never sen the information pack that goers to Angel Flight passengers? Or have awareness of the screening system to confirm that the passengers are fit to fly? Or potentially even the emails and flight briefing sheets that go to passengers, pilots & ground crew? Have you experienced how Angel Flight deals with a Pilot cancelling a trip (which is excellent by the way)?
You got me, I haven't! Nor do I think I need to in order to be able to understand the way non fliers view and understand aviation, I have dealt with enough non-fliers to be able realise that it is almost impossible for them to understand the subtle differences involved, no matter how much information they are given.

For what it's worth my opinion with regard to experience; I think recent and relevant experience is as important as total time.

Cheers, HH.