PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PVRs started.....
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2011, 07:49
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
For those planning to leave - don't under-estimate your market potential.

I can't talk about the flying industry, but the majority of those leaving the RAF over the next year will be ground-based branch and trades people. Having spent the last year cultivating a network of City contacts, albeit from afar, I have been told-off by several of them when enquiring for jobs they feel are well below my capabilities. In sum - if you are a senior officer, bid for 'director' posts; junior officer/WO - 'senior manager' slots etc. Spread your love around a number of recruiting agencies, but realise that they don't work for you. Moreover, you are likely to get a higher remuneration package applying directly to potential employers. Circulate your CV (and cover letters) to your contacts and accept criticism on the chin - after all, they are trying to help you.

Times are tough out there, but there is an enormous amount of goodwill being extended to Service personnel. That might be sufficient to get your first foot-hold - and after then, well, it's up to the individual.

For those who will receive news on 1 september, good luck and see it as an opportunity to exploit your potential. After all, we have all been through much harder selectron and training programmes than almost anyone outside of the services - and we passed! In comparison, getting a 'civvie' job should be a doddle!