PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PVRs started.....
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2011, 20:17
chopabeefer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And worse it becomes...

RAF Students at Shawbury briefed yesterday. Bad news all round. Those finishing 660/705 (Squirrel) will hold for at least 18 months before starting the MEARW (60Sqn Cse) on the Griffin. The frontline simply cannot train them - no serviceable aircraft, and no slots. 35 Students post EFT creamed off to rotary will now be sent back down to Multi's (where there is a job, albeit really boring) or worse still, fast jets - an absolute slap in the face for someone who joined to do a job and was going to the sharp end.

An 18 month hold for a student with 60 hrs is a killer - they will not have enough experience to retain their skills - after 18 mths they should start again, and no, a refresher is NOT adequate. Yet again standards drop, a lesser end result is accepted, and our wonderful senior officers sign off on it.

Good job we have the cadre of instructors to keep them up to speed. Oh wait - we will have so few students that QHI's will be sent to the Army to keep current - teaching at Wallop. Before you lynch me - I have the very highest regard for the AAC, it's pilots and QHI's - supremely capable all, but it is worthy of mention that the RAF will be looking to the Army to keep its pilots current and proficient. This is gen.

The RAF is dying. It is in that horrible state, lying in bed, diseased and pained, knowing itself the end is nigh. It looks to friends for reassurance, but they look away, afraid to betray their feelings.

If you have an option, I believe now is the time. The ship is sinking. Rats may desert the ship, but Bader jumped out when the aircraft was doomed too - there is no stigma.