PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I'm lost! A Surivivors Guide.
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2002, 12:43
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's important to be very careful using GPS if you're lost. It can be invaluable. It can also get you into trouble.

How many gliding sites are on your GPS database? How about parachuting sites? Masts? And even if every danger area is in the database, the Notes that go with many of them won't be.

GPS is great for telling you where you are. As long as you're near somewhere which you can identify on the moving map, of course. But I'd never blindly follow a heading the GPS gave me, because I don't know where it's going to take me.

If you want to use a GPS to help you out if you get lost, by all means get the GPS to tell you where you are. Then locate your position on your chart, draw a line to where you want to go, and check that line doesn't take you anywhere you don't want to be.

This is one reason why I might prefer to use a VOR if I was lost - I'm going to transfer my position onto a chart anyway, and a VOR fix is very easy to transfer onto a chart. A GPS fix, although it's easier to obtain, is slightly harder to use once you've obtained it.

IMHO.

FFF
---------------