PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Doha Airport. Qatar
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2011, 18:57
CuitoCuanavale

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charly-Viktor & Punchespilot (incidently, love the nether-world pseudonym!! and unfortunately this does not speak to your original question of inter - ATSU coordination ref speed assignments...believe previous contributors answered adequately).

This is cliche'd I know, but working abroad (In the ME - for this thread, in particular...Qatar) is what you make of it. Challenging and frustrating...hell yeah, which career/job aint??...skills tested and honed??...absolutely.

Want sterilized perfection??...go watch "The Sound of Music" or Harrisons version of "My Fair Lady".

Take cognizance of the fact that working in another country is already out of your comfort zone. If you expect everything to quite literally run in parrallel to what you are accustomed to in your own country (Company)...not gonna happen!! A multitude of other reasons will also test your resolve, resilience and ultimately your level of maturity. If you battle with any of the aforementioned being tested...stay where you are!!

I am not intending any overtly pro or anti Doha paradigms to be taken from this - on the contrary, come here informed!! Use the search feature on this site related to your interest and if you know anyone here - ask questions. After this, if you do decide to uproot and come here and then down the line evolve into a bleating lamb...well, being adult and discerning and all that...!!...

Your most powerful tool at your disposal, yet so often not recognized as such...CHOICE!! Your comfort zone of Salary protection and Job security once you resign from your home country post is w.i.e. now firmly in your hands. Most ANSP's are parastatal and thus have pension scheme's, Medical Aid's etc, etc...resignation waivers those benefits!!...recognize that from the GetGo!!. I view working in the ME on a contract basis as being akin to self emplyment. Quite simply what I mean by this is, YOU and now nobody else is now either the creditor or debtor of critique and progress, where-as previously a fairly large portion there-of could be dumped on the ANSP. When reviewing a contract, ensure everything you think is important to you is IN the contract!! .......not as an aside, i.e....in an accompanying e-mail or verbal communication. If it is not IN THE CONTRACT that YOU signed...and you ultimately dont receive it...dont know what to tell you other than...as an adult, kinda silly, short sighted and naive. Now an entire debate could evolve about gentlemans agreement etc, etc....semantics and not binding. Again, quite simply choice!!...if it is important to you and you know other ANSP's in the region provide it, negotiate it into the contract. If that does not happen...simply dont sign the contract...and yes, it is literally as simple as that. When purchasing a vehicle, house or any other contract orientated agreement...dont you always review what you want/need..then negotiate and then when content, sign?? If I want A,B,C,D and E...but only A through D is in the contract, but E gets offerred my way either verbally or in any other format other than the contract...should I expect E being an absolute??...I know semantics will get a lot of attention here and the whole verbal contracts are binding etc, etc The surgical truth of it is, whats in the contract is what you can expect...what is offerred via any other medium may or may not materialise. This does NOT translate into it absolutely not being offerred....not at all, just remember that your contract content is the absolute. If what IS in your contract ultimately is not forth-coming...then yes, you certainly have a reason to bemoan the ANSP.

I have been here some 8yrs now and there have been good times and some unbelievably frustrating periods, ...am I harbouring any regrets...absolutely not...why??...possible pedantry interpretation aside...its called living your life and getting on with it.

Some might agree with my perspective and others will not (so many semantics to play with and hairs to split...ooopss!!)...again, its all about choice.

Last edited by CuitoCuanavale; 26th Aug 2011 at 01:53.