PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AW139 Accident rate discussion
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2011, 17:44
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Capt 139, thanks for confirming the registration of the Korean aircraft. The available information is sketchy indeed - in fact all I have been able to ascertain is that the craft crashed into the sea at night.

VEMD, see accident No.9. SEK is the registration of the Brasilian aircraft which crashed .. PR-SEK.

During the compilation of the table I received numerous PM's providing various aspects of information relating to several of the crashes. I am now awaiting further detailed information on both of the Gulf Helicopters incidents as it seems the information I was sent was (unsurprisingly) incomplete.

From communications over the past couple of days is does seem as though a stronger case is being built for a possible generic problem of tail rotor blade shearing.

Frustratingly, in the Hong Kong Harbour incident the critical piece of the evidence (the blade which may have sheared) could not be found. Also, the other piece of evidence which could have helped (the HUMS memory card) was not housed in a waterproof receptacle and the chips, being corroded, could not be analysed.

Hopefully the Brasil crash will yield more immediate and conclusive information.