PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2 dead in Vic NW of Melb at Wallup
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2011, 14:26
Old Akro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HH

Does the "low bar" that you complain about apply to the ABC chopper? Or the 206 at Lake Eyre. Or the 210 at Kunnunurra? At the moment there is no evidence that the Cherokee 180 that crashed near Nhill was any less well maintained, or the pilot any less diligent. Indeed, while its unlikely, the aeroplane might even be in the charter category for all we know. Instead, there is just a lot of finger pointing because the pilot was a private pilot and not possessing the elevated status of CPL or ATPL.

And why should a small not-for-profit be setting itself up as knowing better than CASA? Why do you think my family's life is worth less than someone I meet through Angel Flight? If you think the PPL standards are too low, then lets argue that case. If you think Airwork maintenance standards are too low, then lets argue that case. And if there is a good argument for either, then let's take it to CASA.

I presume you have never sen the information pack that goers to Angel Flight passengers? Or have awareness of the screening system to confirm that the passengers are fit to fly? Or potentially even the emails and flight briefing sheets that go to passengers, pilots & ground crew? Have you experienced how Angel Flight deals with a Pilot cancelling a trip (which is excellent by the way)?

I stand by my argument that an angel Flight passenger is in a better position to make a judgement about whether or not to fly with me that one of my clients or employees who decides to fly with me on a business trip. If for no other reason than the balance of power is more even. Angel Flight is an introduction service, not a scheduled service, not a charter. I cancelled an Angel Flight today because I'm getting the flu. If it was a private / business flight I might still do it, I'm not yet unfit to fly. But there is a whole different imperative. A friend flew to a regional town to pick up a passenger, got there but didn't like the weather he flew through and so cancelled the Angel Flight with about 30 min notice. That flexibility doesn't exist with charter and rightly or wrongly is less likely to exist on private / business flights.