PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - If a purser introduce him or herself as an Inflight manager in the first PA???
Old 25th Aug 2011, 14:24
flapsforty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Enthusiast,

You are asking if we think Inflight Manager is a good expression.
Firstly Iīd say that it doesnīt really matter what we are called.
Secondly, for my personal taste, the word manager is just a bit too generic. The old fashioned "Purser" has a nautical / aviation feel to it, which is why I like it better. But thatīs just me.

You write that a manager in flight equals a captain. Iīm not quite sure what you are saying.
Yes the captain = the manager of the flight, so if thatīs what you mean with 'equals', Iīd agree.
If you mean that the highest ranking member of the cabin crew equals the captain, then that is not the case in any airline I know of.
Order of rank at the majority of airlines:
  1. Captain
  2. First Officer - copilot
  3. Second Officer - cocopilot
  4. (Flight Engineer)
  5. CSD / Inflight Manager / Senior Purser / CCP
  6. Second ranking member of CC / Purser
  7. Flight Attendants
When both cockpit and cabin cabin crew members are aware of the chain of command, and respect it both 'upwards' and 'downwards', in my experience it makes for a safe, predictable and pleasant working environment.

Regarding the PA, itīs all a bit of a pointless discussion because the vast majority of passengers either doesnīt listen to the PA, doesnīt understand the PA and just couldnīt care less which crew member is called what anyway.
And why should they?

Dawdler, who makes the first PA is wholly dependent on company SOPs; no world wide rule for that.

PS:Mad-jock; whatīd be the point of the lame advising the blind?