PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus incident in SNN
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2011, 11:06
accelalt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mikehotel152

No, I am not a test pilot. I am a regular pax out of DUB.

The conditions at Shannon were well within the limits of an ATR and I certainly landed in similar conditions many times at weston. The X wind limit for an ATR 72 on a dry runway is demonstrated at 35 knots. The crew are supposed to apply 1/3 of the headwind to a max of 15 to the no wind Vapp speed, OR 1.1 Vmca, which ever is greater for the Vapp 50 feet over the treshold. (cockpit.com Fcom)

In gusty wind conditions, the mean of the gust or all of the gust, which ever is higher, to a max of 15 knots.

You are either within the demonstrated limits of the a/c or you are not.

If not within limits - simple, you go around. You dont wait till you are crashing nose wheel first into the runway till you decide.

If windsheer is encountered, SOP's say power to the ramp, pitch up 10 degrees and do not raise landing gear till a postive climb of more than 5 seconds is achieved. (ATR typerated friend)

None of the above was implemented by this crew.

There are two limits on every a/c
1 - the ones the manufacturer set
2 - the pilots own personal limits.

The a/c should be flown to the lesser of the two.

I have flown twice last week to the UK and this Captain potentially could have flown me. It is an utter discrace, and a derliction of responsibility on behalf of the regulator, that this was allowed to happen. I have many friends in the airline industry, and they are all gobsmaked that a pilot involved in such a serious incidient was allowed to continue to operate, as the Captain, while an investigation was ongoing. What kind of a training department has this organisation got. This is not horse racing - take a fall and get back up as quick as you can!!. I am absolutely livid and will not travel with them again. I am personally writing to Air Lingus asking for an explanation.

BTW - I purchase my ticket from Aer Lingus, not Aer Arann. The cabin crew are dressed in an Aer Lingus uniform, not Aer Arann and the announcement when I get on board is on behalf of Aer Lingus. -- Aer Lingus mate.