PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How about a list of journalists, rated by their reporting skills?
Old 25th Aug 2011, 10:27
melmothtw

Received 173 Likes on 89 Posts
"but even the most basic training should involve what is professionally acceptable in terms of news gathering techniques, checking of facts and putting the information in context for the reader. "

All the training syllabuses I mentioned DO train the journalist to do ALL of these things. There’s no accounting for those that choose not to operate by these standards (NoW etc), but these are the exceptions rather than the rule (across the entire spectrum of journalism rather than the narrow section of the tabloid press).

“Pilots and engineers generally lose licences, become unemployable or get imprisoned for not keeping up standards.”

Journalists lose accrediations, become unemployable or get imprisoned just the same.

As I said in my private message to you Fox3, it’s all too easy to become cynical. However, don’t forget that when you turn on the news tonight to find out the latest news from Afghanistan or Libya, or open the broadsheets and trade press to read about it, that information is coming to you from journalists who are routinely putting their lives on the line doing a job they happen to think is a worthwhile and honourable vocation.