PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2011, 07:35
Just.A.Cadet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I hear what you are saying, and agree to a certain extent. The idea that "licenses are meaningless" and "you will always be considered a cadet", I do not though.

After 5 years and 3,000 hours in an RPT operation, am I less experienced than a pilot that has been in the company 6 months, with 2,000 hours, and been awarded a command?
Clearly I am still in the right seat, so I am not ready for "open heart surgery" alone, but I do not bring an empty flight bag to work.

I have respect for the Captain's decisions, and I do things exactly the way they want (even though most of them have their own way of doing things).
The only time I will open my mouth is when I fear for my (our) safety. Why? My past experiences have left me with some beneficial insight into the particular situation, and I feel that I have something to offer.

I do not hide from the fact that I'm a cadet. I try and learn something every day, regardless of who or what the experience comes from.

Unfortunately, there are (plentiful) people that do decide to try and tell a Captain how to do their job. It is not fair that the rest of us are judged for their insolence.
Please don't lose sight of the fact that they should be judged as individuals, not as the rest of us. Unfortunately it comes with the industry.

Do you deserve more money than me at entry level?
YES. A cadet's contract will take care of that.
Do I deserve to be paid more than you because I've been at the company longer than you? (years down the track, rank for rank)
YES. Why must I stay on worse conditions for my whole career, for the way I chose to get a start?

Not all cadets are looking for a job on a silver platter, with a seniority number that makes them bigger and better than you. People make choices that they feel are best, hopefully for the long term.

Before you fire back, this 'deal' is not the right one. I hope it is true that it has improved recently, and that it continues to do so. I hope to see you at the interview with me when it does.

Whether you sign up as a cadet or not, we are all in the same boat eventually. I do not support or condone the way the industry is going, and there should always be an avenue for "experience".
Hopefully more people see this deal (and others) for what it is. Unfortunately there will be many that ignore the real facts.

P.S. sorry for the thread drift. I tried to make a new thread about this and the moderators said "nay". At least I can handle being treated as Just a Cadet