PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 reported down in Canada
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2011, 06:32
RESA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
737 reported down in Canada

ROCKHOUND

I hear you!

I remember, thirty-six plus years ago (can't believe I said that) sitting on the ramp in Resolute waiting for Aeradio to allow me on to the runway (wintertime . . . ya, dark). There was a PWA Herc on final so I had to wait (you probably remember PWA Stretch-Hercs?). Blowing snow conditions were at best "marginal". I heard the Herc call "down" on the radio. I saw blasts of snow go by in front of me. Couldn't really tell it was an A/C until they passed me on the (very short) taxi. These folks were in/out a couple of times a day . . . and we made a point of keeping everything on the A/P as much the same as we could. I dare say that the "regular scheduled" jockeys anywhere are surprised by sudden changes in the topography and such? And ya, I do remember landing on the tundra in the middle of nowhere . . . always in daylight . . . and after a few low passes to check it out. Also however, never in anything bigger than a DC-3 . . . when your stall speed is like 50 MPH it make a BIG difference!

I do wonder if the recent decommissioning of the RU/Martyr NDB (2.1 N.M. on centreline and before threshold) didn't remove a possible chance for this flight to realize their deviation.

REVERSEFLIGHT

F.Y.I. The locator NDB (2.1 N.M. on centreline and before threshold) . . . which I assume you are referring to, was recently decommissioned by Canada’s privately owned air navigational operator . . . I can only assume it was for a cost savings initiative? The only remaining NDB is the YRB (RB) which is located 1.5 N.M. past the stop-end of the ILS runway approach of 35T.