PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2011, 00:06
exeng
Mistrust in Management

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with Barbies

An awful situation to find oneself in, but nevertheless basic attitude + power should have seen them through the airspeed issue.

The stall warning should have alerted the PF to the situation. Even in low level stall training ( I understand the PF had this) then a reduction in pitch should have been almost automatic I would have thought.

Where I have sympathy for the Pilots is in the extreme angles of attack following the stall when the stall warning disappears - and yet when nose down inputs are made the stall warning re-appears. I know others have made the point but I felt it worth re-stating.

The pitch angles on the ADI are abnormal for the stage of flight (i.e. cruise + stall) but not abnormal for take-off and initial climb. 'So what' some may say - but the PF may have thought that such a pitch angle was not so out of the ordinary. (importance of training aginn)

Interesting to note that the PNF took control quite late in the proceedings (probably too late to effect a recovery) and I believe he made a nose down input. I also understand that the PF almost immediately took control agian (or overode the NPF's input) with a nose up input.

Whilst I don't want to start an A/B versus Boeing scrap again I feel that the sidestick logic is flawed in this respect amongst others. On a Boeing it obvious which way the elevator is moving (and in some cases therefore the THS) and on the A/B it is not obvious. I've flown both by the way (including the 320 and the 777 but not the A330).

Both types of aircraft are well designed - some have advantages or deficiencies when compared against each other.

The clue is in training - and what we have in this terrible accident is a crew that has been poorly prepared for the situation they find themselves in. Complex aircraft need rigorous training - but the airlines won't pay for it - and A/B don't recommend it's necessity.

I hope that some changes in attitude from the various CAA's will follow the final report - I won't hold my breath.