PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Australia its own Worst Enemy?
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2011, 21:46
Andu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a pity there's no ballot paper option where you can tick 'You all suck. Find some pollies with a degree of integrity, intelligence and fortitude who can run the show without resorting to chimpanzee politics. Ta. In the meantime we're withholding our taxes'.
WitW, there is such an option. It's called the Informal Vote, where the voter submits a blank voting slip or in some way defaces the slip so as to register a protest vote by voting for 'none of the above'.

A friend told me he was one of the ~5% of voters who did this at the last election, as he didn't want his vote going towards supplying funds to any Party (as he was so disappointed in all of them).

(Some may not be aware that each Party receives public funds based upon the number of votes they receive.) At the time, I thought he was misguided, but I suspect that many traditional Labor voters, unable to bring themselves to vote for either Abbott or the Watermelons, but unable to vote for Gillard, will take this option in the next election - whenever it may be.