PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2011, 15:44
Lonewolf_50

Received 433 Likes on 273 Posts
"The Pilot, if input ND would cause the THS to follow." (POST STALL). That is categorically incorrect.
No "sustained input" would budge that THS off NUFULL.
Neither would it have moved UP if there was room left for it.
I think it was FUNCTIONALLY locked. takata told us so, and I believe him.
It was essentially unavailable, PARKED in NU. No excuses for STALLSTALL, but once STALLED, this a/c was done. IMHO.
Bear, I don't think your'e right about that. Alt 2 latched does not mean "flight control locked and no longer able to be moved." The THS movement lags behind Side stick commands, since the elevators are the flight control surfaces that first adjust to meet the change in condition called for by the Side Stick.

This order of operations aids and abets smooth flight. The elevators first change, and THS then adjusts (unless in Direct law) to the new demand to reduce the need for elevator deflection. This sequential set of flight surface changes creates a new equilibrium point, from which the next control deflection change is made.

With that in mind, unless we can conclude that, at a certain AoA, elevators lost the ability to change the airflow, and thus could not initiate that order of operations wherein the THS adjusts to the new position, then your statement that the THS could no longer be moved cannot be agreed.

Also, in the incipient, early stall time period, when the aircraft first stalled (within the first minute and while there was still some momentum carrying the aircraft up, see HN39's graph two threads ago for that relationship) there is ample reason to believe, and energy available, and the THS at a low enough angle, to recover from the stalling regime with sustained nose down.