PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2011, 15:29
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ahh .. 'Bravo Mike'!

G-BBBM was a Bell-built 206B (1973 model) and was one of Ferranti's managed aircraft. The records have the owner as 'Firstcliff Ltd' but what I remember is the name 'Bob Woods' who, I assume was the registered owner of Firstcliff. Bob was one of the clients for whom my godfather continued to provide helicopter services after the demise of Ferranti and as a result I got to meet him, on several occasions, one of which was a trip to Cheltenham to bet on the gee gees.

As mentioned many times, both here on Nostalgia and on the Ferranti thread, my godfather had names for everything and everyone (you would have to have known him to understand) and 'BM' was the 'Brave Brave Black Man' and which used to be communicated in the Colonel's best African accent (if there is such a thing). I have no clue as to how he came up with that name but that is how I always remember him referring to this craft.

From being managed by Ferranti she was sold to Manfred Mann and then to Carl Beaman's show at Battersea later being bought by the Express in 1989. She was finally sold to Belgium in 1996.