PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2011, 15:00
airtren

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clandestino,

Originally Posted by Clandestino
..... For pitch attitude rate I use that nice, big AH display on PFD in front of me. ....
Your unabated insistence on the instrument flying is appreciated.

That indirectly suggests the importance of adequate training, and in this case, the impact of the the lack of it, which is mentioned in the BEA Report.

Here it is again: the training has the role of getting the important elements into the pilots reflexes to the point that they can do what's needed without any hesitation, or doubt, regardless of the external disruptions, or conditions.

A reminder seem to be in order though, of the failure of some of the instrument indications, which compounded the lack of adequate training. So far there are the comments on the CVR transcript that speak, and hopefully the recovery and processing of data left on some of the recovered computers will allow restoring the indications on the PF (right side) Instruments which were not recorded by the FDR.

Position of the trim wheel is completely moot point. Crew needed not be aware of trim position at all. If they pushed forward on the stick, trim would obligingly go towards nose down. Pilot pulled.
Not quite. (note: my conversion to italic in quote)

The THS position is an indication of how far a main longitudinal (NU/ND) control surface deflection is, which would be a confirmation on the action needed, if in doubt, which was plenty that night.

But even a well trained, well aware, good pilot taking the quick initiative of a full ND stick, I am quite sure would have taken a quick glance to the THS wheel, and its position indicator, just to confirm once more for himself, in a fraction of a second, where things are, before acting with the stick....

Furthermore: if I take the reference to THS at its full NU position, when the a/c was already in full Stall, we can only refer to Stall Recovery, not Stall Avoidance, as the procedure to be applied.

Stall Recovery points again to incomplete training, and practicing, as the ND is counter-intuitive and counter-reflex to the reflex of holding altitude - altitude is known that is being lost.

Developing reflexes similar to, or for Stall Recovery is done for military pilots, in addition to those for holding altitude, and it is not just by telling them what needs be done, but by hours and days of practicing.

Perhaps an analogy is called - "the skater/hokey player/ice figure skater" analogy:

"Skating" cannot be taught just by telling one how to do skate. It needs practicing, so that one develops reflexes that add to, or counter those of walking.

Furthermore, a good Hockey Player skating reflexes will not make him instantly an ice-figure skater. It again, requires more than the understanding of what need be done, it requires practicing, and building adequate reflexes.

32 losses of all IAS indications in high level icing conditions.
We could in fairness narrow down such a number to those "at night, and turbulence"

absolute imperative (categorical, if you speak Kant)
I was moved by your Saint-Exupery previous reference, but your reference to Kant is not less, it's more.... Kierkegaard next?

what keeps them alive is the knowledge and skills of the guys/gals up front.
That is important, but alone will not do it.... as there is a lot, lot more than that to it...

Last edited by airtren; 24th Aug 2011 at 16:48.