PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 737 reported down in Canada
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2011, 07:28
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It looks like time to take a deep breath and re-establish known facts as many appear to be getting confused.

My understanding:

ILS 35 working, so why fly anything else if the wind is in limits? Anyone have the minima?

Why then, fly an approach on an en-route VOR with no published procedure?

Why then are folk talking about a BC17?

Only one NDB available - RB, north of the field.

The impact was nowhere near a circling track nor a localiser track.

If anyone has definitive contradictions please correct.

Originally Posted by Rock
It's just that I had the impression from your post that you felt a tailwind of >10 knots was too strong for a safe landing.
- you need to re-read my posts - I have not said "a tailwind of >10 knots was too strong for a safe landing." - I have said that 10 is the 'normal' limit. I do not know if this company had a 15. Your post implied that it was a 'done' that crews would ignore limits to get the job done. That is not unknown territory to me in military life, but it is potentially dangerous - it will work a lot of the time. Not all, and when someone pays to be safely carried one needs to think carefully before doing it and be prepared for the consequences. Aviation history is littered with bold aviators, not so many old.

Aterptser seems to think that a right-hand circle of an ILS 35 gives the captain 'the sight picture'??