PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Go RNZAF
Thread: Go RNZAF
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2002, 01:31
Albatross

Talking Go RNZAF

No doubt there is a bunch of Herc drivers back at Ohakea killing themselves with laughter. Had a couple of mates at the stadium and they said plenty were scrabbling for cellphones to call loved ones or making a mad dash to get out of the stands or pointing at the Herc and panicking.

Fly-by rattles rugby fans
21 October 2002

An unscheduled show of air force over Jade Stadium frightened some Canterbury rugby fans on Friday night.

Spectators at the Canterbury-Auckland NPC semifinal were sent ducking for cover when a Royal New Zealand Air Force (RNZAF) C-130 Hercules flew low over the stadium.

With international plane and bomb attacks on Westerners still fresh in people's minds, some spectators thought the end was nigh.

Lorette Peach, of Christchurch, said her husband had rung her from Jade Stadium in a state of shock.

"He thought that they were all done for. When the Hercules banked around, flying low, and was heading straight for them, he thought that the aircraft must have been stolen or taken over by terrorists, and they were all about to die."

Linda McFarlane, of suburban Halswell, said the fly-by was in poor taste... "especially as earlier we stood in remembrance for lives lost in Bali".

"I appreciate the air force is there to protect us, but a warning of the fly-by would have saved many a lot of distress."

RNZAF squadron leader and director of public affairs Ric Cullinane said the air force was concerned about any anxiety caused.

Mr Cullinane had not spoken to the Hercules captain, but imagined the fly-by was an attempt to support the rugby match.

"I can't speak for him, but I would be astonished if any of our people deliberately tried to scare anyone. Their concerns are understandable, given the current circumstances.

"I'm sure after this event that it's very unlikely that there will be any impromptu fly-bys in the future," Mr Cullinane said.

The captain of the Hercules was cleared to fly visually (rather than with instruments) from Christchurch Airport, bound for the Ohakea air base in Manawatu, at about 8.45pm. The Hercules flew across the city before circling over Jade Stadium.

Mr Cullinane said the pilot and the aircraft were well within the the height limitations of the clearance given.

Canterbury Rugby Football Union chief executive Hamish Riach was just as surprised as the 19,000-strong crowd when the Hercules roared overhead.

Mr Riach said last night the timing was strange, given recent attacks overseas, and he intended to explore the event with the air force tomorrow.

"The whole issue is about keeping us informed. Then we could have let people know, and it wouldn't have been a problem," Mr Riach said.