PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2011, 03:29
iceman50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bubbers44

To help you think it is a normal A/C without stall protection!

I personally think this will eventually come down to inappropriate inputs PRIOR to the stall and having "looked" at the scenario you have to really hold the aft input to GET the A/C into that position. Extremely high rates of descent 15,000+ and the recovery will require at least 15degrees + nose down and TOGA, once the nose is down.

However during the entry the STALL warning is continually "sounding" and even if you had just let go of the sidestick, after the initial input, the stall warning stops and an extreme attitude is NOT achieved. You have to HOLD it in.

Having got themselves into the deep stall then things would have been very confusing, so we can perhaps understand why they did not know what was going on, but the A/C should not have got there in the first place. This is NOT an "Airbus" problem but perhaps a "pilot" problem. Difficult as it is to say and we always defend our profession but we do sometimes make mistakes / errors and I have made a few in my time.

The only good thing to come out of this, at the sad cost of many lives and as we used to say when I was in the Military "I learnt about flying from that!", is that I hope all of us "pilots" are now thinking about what WE would do in our A/C be it an Airbus / Boeing and we had an UAS situation at night and at altitude manually flying.