PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2011, 21:45
AlphaZuluRomeo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MurphyWasRight
Seems obvious to me so I must be missing something:

Once stall warning/condition is detected for more than 5 seconds (or other appropriate small number) latch the warning and do not remove it until valid (unstalled) airspeed and AoA are seen.

In other words once in a stall prove to me that we are no longer stalled.
Well... perhaps it was too obvious for my deranged brain...
Good catch, thank you. So far I cannot find why it would not work (unless you freeze your 3 pitots during an actual stall... what a bad day, then)

Originally Posted by GerardC
Imho, the initial nose up is a reaction to the loss of 360' (35,024'-34,664') in just 4 seconds (02:10:05 / 02:10:09) that is "only" a 5400 ft/minute rate.
Any pilot flying an RVSM route will react very quickly to this kind of altitude variation.
Are you talking of the same pilot (still flying an RVSM route by the way) who (apparently) failed to react as quickly as before to a 2500-3000 ft altitude gain lasting "just" ~60 seconds with "only" a 7000 ft/minute (top) rate?
Sorry, I don't find the comparizon very conclusive...

---------

[edit/addendum]
Originally Posted by AlphaZuluRomeo
As JD-EE noted, the real airspeed was more in the 100kt range. Pivotable pitots (to let them follow the airflow) would have helped, there. Those exist on the Rafale fighter (and perhaps others), as shown on this pic.
By the way, does anybody know why such combined probes (pitot+AoA) seem to be rare? Not so easy to make/maintain? Too expensive? Never tought about? Not deemed useful on a liner, which should not reach such exotic AoAs?
Self-quoting myself (sorry about that) but I just read (here) that the A380 apparently carry MFPs (Multi Function Probes) for Pt + TAT + AOA. Why this choice on the bigger bus? Are those MFPs something "new"?

Last edited by AlphaZuluRomeo; 23rd Aug 2011 at 22:41. Reason: adding last part of the post to limit double ones.