PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2011, 17:27
HarryMann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never the less, I do agree with you that cutting off the stall warning under (sensed/indicated) 60kt in AF447 was not good. But I didn't find how to do better, for now.
Is there really any pressing need to suppress it once the a/c is off the ground and once above a nominal (chosen) speed, until it's deactivated again upon landing

Yes, the AoA vane can malfunction (we know that), but its extremely rare, there can be cross-checks for that condition (e.g. a trouble shoot test soon after take-off could be applied)...

and additionally, why are more cctv, extrenal web-cam style devices, not used so the crew can - at a glance - inspect all around the aircraft for actual physical configuration and incipient or extant problems.

I seem to remember suggesting that such a (potentially low-cost) camera installation would likely have help avoid the Madrid take-off configuration accident. Sometimes the aircraft industry seems overly conservative, despite being knwon as a high-tech leader.

I think the industry should make its mind up how much accidents really cost and what that worth is in much better thought through systems and safety double-checks.

The Mk I human eyeball seems to have been sorely undererstimated as a troubleshooting device... ?