PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Winch launch gliding sites
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2011, 15:45
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Years ago I was told by the secretary of the UK Flight Safety Comittee that they were very concerned about the info Jeppesen publishes as it is not checked by an independent auditor; they supposedly 'self check' their own publications
Gosh, that explains why the earth's surface is littered with wreckage of 747s

That's the kind of statement I would expect to get from an agency who is far more concerned to cover its back end than to promote safety.

There is very nearly zero evidence that errors in Jepp stuff have caused accidents. I recall there was some litigation in the USA...

Against this, we have CAA VFR charts with 1000ft towers missing off them. Yeah, right, independently audited Just how often do they have to do this massive task, involving the mapping of the whole known aviation universe? Just once a year! And they still foul it up. Even the Bournemouth radar frequency was wrong.

And they publish approach plates which don't show the decision heights. The text is too small to be easily readable in A5 size, but nobody uses A4 in the cockpit. When I asked their head of mapping once (face to face) why they don't produce them as A5 and with DHs so they can be used directly by pilots he told me they are not in the business of competing with commercial providers...

Jepp is not without its faults - far from it - and they are an arrogant enough company to draw a lot of criticism without even trying. But they are all there is, once you get away from the Blackbushe-Bembridge burger run. Their worst "crime" is the failure to depict UK Class A airspace correctly in the database used by practically every GPS manufacturer. But the GPS makers are equally to blame for that. As is the CAA for not making the maps freely available in an electronic format, as a multi-layer database (something which every European CAA does too).

Independent auditing is an irrelevance. Ask anybody concerned with one of the biggest scams in business: ISO9000