PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Doctor to Airline Pilot
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2011, 15:30
macs86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doctor and pilot - can you really do both?

Hi all,

I am having quite a tough time with finding the answer to this, which suggests to me that it doesn't get done very often, which in turn I suppose answers my question to some point- but anyway...

I am about to qualify as a Dr, I am also a ppl, training towards cpl. Maybe unlike some others commenting on this forum, I really enjoy medicine (perhaps one day I won't), but I also really love flying. I would really like a career that let's you do both. Can anyone help me put together a list of careers that let you do that, that I can explore further? There have been some suggestions you can do this with the military, although I don't love the idea of signing up for 7 (or whatever) years of my life that I can't get out of if its not for me. Also it seems like I may be over the age limit (now almost 25yo). Others have mentioned airline pilots that also work as AMEs (not sure how they do this, I was under the impression the gmc take your license if you don't work so many hours a week for the NHS, maybe the rules are different elsewhere?). Flying doctors and repatriation medicine may be an option, but I don't know much about how to get into those.

Any info that anyone can give from knowledge, others, own experiences etc.. Would be really helpful.

Thanks all