PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EU hits low cost airlines
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2002, 20:30
Devils Advocate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool This's just too brilliant !!!

I've just been through my own airline's delay stats ( for the period 1st Jul 2002 thru 31st Aug 2002 - i.e. typically the busiest months for a UK charter airline ) and find that most (85%) of our delays are due to factors not directly related to the airline itself.

Nb. The delay stats are as follows and are ranked as a percentage of the total delay time attributed to the major delay groups, as annotated by the IATA delay-code groupings:

So, delays directly attributable my own airlines flight ops and / or (non-planned) engineering requirements = 15%

All the other non-airline related reasons (i.e. misc) = 11%
Aircraft and ramp handling = 12%
Passengers & baggage = 13%
Airports, ATC, and government delays = 50%

Nb. The above times do not include the 'reactionary' delays, as (quite obviously) any such delays are knock-on's caused by those above.

Of course I'd be more than happy so long as it cuts both ways, i.e. that the airlines can reciprocate charges when pax are late, e.g. "Sorry madam but as a result of you turning-up late at the gate here's a £1500 bill for delaying our departure by 20 minutes........ and indeed your baggage is just leaving the hold as I speak - and please do remember to pay within 30 days or we'll add penalty charges to that too !", i.e. we've a legal requirement not to depart with such bags, right ?! - and the pax ARE late, right ?! - and as they say "what goes around, comes around !"

......... and also, such that we can similarly pass on any / all delay charges to those whom supply airlines with 'services', e.g. all the ATC units, all the government agencies, all handling agents, all the fuelers, all the baggage loaders, all the caterers, all the airport check-in staff, etc...... indeed have we finally found the rod with which to beat them in order to make them provide a decent service ? ( and which we already pay for ).

And so if all is an equal playing field then, "Hurrah !!!"

PS. but I somehow very much doubt that this will be the case !!