PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eng Stall on A320
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2011, 14:56
I-2021

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a hypothetical scenario,following a take off at vr we encounter an engine stall,after getting airborne and once safely established in climb we throttle back the affected engine to lets say idle ,at this point the eng stall characteristics cease and there have been no parameter exceedances.Do we now climb to our eng out acc altitude,clean up the aircrft and then do the Qrh eng stall paper checklist or do we call for it right away,complete the checklist,cleean up at eng out acc alt.
Hi,

the general idea behind is that a jet engine with such a high level of FADEC standard won't stall for minor problems, or at least there are very few chances that it will. If it happens in a situation as you described, my advice is to stick to the procedures that are designed for these situations, ie ENG STALL paper checklist. You will retard one engine at IDLE, therefore you can consider yourself being single engine until you may get back the engine to normal thrust settings, but you may not. In the mean time, at the back passengers and crew will probably hear loud bangs coming from the engine, so expect everybody to be a little scared, or at least to think what the hell is going on. Follow your single engine procedure and the QRH, put yourself in the legal side, that makes the difference between tea and biscuits with the chief pilot or a cold coffee with your local CAA. You come back safely, most probably with 2 engines, you applied all your procedures and you pass the ball to the maintenance.

Cheers.