PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2011, 13:51
USMCMBA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
“Well you could always work hard and earn that well paying job....like the rest of us did before you! ohhh that might be hard though

Why should any carrier pay good money for no-experience pilots? The problem is that management seems to feel that experience is not worth anything, hence the reason why almost no-one with experience accepted the current cadet deal. ”

Uuugh, yeah FYI, I do have a very well paying job, just not as a pilot or in aviation. One of the reasons why I didn't go the airline pilot route after graduating from Embry-Riddle was how little, airlines (regionals in particular) paid their pilots and how little “progression” there seemed to be (plus 9/11 didn’t help either) due to the whole seniority structure implemented at most US carriers. Hence I got an MBA from a respected AACSB accredited university and have been working in IT/ERP sales ever since. I know I travel much less than an airline pilot (get to be with family more so than my friends who went to become pilots, many are still regional pilots I might add) and have much more freedom and flexibility to do what I want, when I want. It amazed me for the longest time, seeing how my pilot friends struggled. While I was driving a brand new bimmer, they were still driving the same old beater they had in college. While I wined and dined on company expense with clients my friends are at some pilot’s lounge at some airport eating fast food or some snacks left over from a flight they were just on.

I don’t think most aspiring pilots realize how difficult it is to succeed in this profession. It is a long and challenging road and there are other paths you can take to make the big bucks (and probably not struggle as hard). Like I said before, as long as there are individuals who think being an airline pilot is “glamorous” there will always be a large pool of candidates (even ones with some experience like low time CPL" who are willing to take any “inadequate” compensation package and live the life of a “ramen noodle” budge.