PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook 30th Anniversary Dining In Night - 9th Sep 2011
Old 23rd Aug 2011, 12:44
Tigwas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gosh 30 years - it seems like yesterday. I checked my log book - first sortie 7 Jan 81. My next to last sortie in a Chinook was underslinging a Meteor NF14 to Aalbourg with 'Rats' in 93.

When you consider Chinook operations over the past 30 years (NI, FI, Lebanon, GW1, Bosnia, Sierra Leone, GW2, Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya?) it is a shame something grander could not be done. After all there is enough high priced help around! Tis a shame Chinooks have been outplayed by the Puma boys. It is probably worth remembering that there is no other aircraft in the British Military that has taken part in front line operations in all these conflicts. Must be worth a Hangar Bash albeit belatedly.

On the subject of DW, I recall sitting in on his rehersals and on his run-in (always downwind) he used the Beoing V Max (173 kts metal bladed) so with a decent tailwind he got a groundspeed of close to 200kts . His initial pullup was to 70 degrees nose up and at 40 kts full right pedal. Sometimes the rear end got a little transational lift and you ended up 90+ nose down. Truly great display

Happy days

Tigwas

Last edited by Tigwas; 23rd Aug 2011 at 12:56.