PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2011, 11:00
CONF iture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clandestino,
What I can see here is that you want to mix two things over and over :
  1. Flying eyes closed can guaranty a LOC and you are perfectly aware of that. (average time needed seems to be around one or two minutes only ...)
  2. But exiting a dive, to set things more obvious, be it in clear sky or in the clouds, can be done in many ways. From 10 deg ND to 10 NU can be down the hard way, the confortable way, or a variation of both. Only inputs will make the difference - Those inputs can vary on purpose during the manoeuvre depending what the pilot feels and is ready to feel. Wings are level. Sensation can absolutely be part of the elements that will guide adequately the inputs.
What don't you get here ?
Be explicit on your disagreement ...

Originally Posted by HN39
I agree with PJ2 and others that going to 5 degrees pitch is not what one would expect a seasoned pilot to do, and is not the right thing to do in the circumstances. Depending on how quickly the airplane is rotated to 5 degrees pitch, the AoA would probably temporarily exceed the stall warning threshold of about 4 degrees, and in any case the 'stabilized' AoA in still air would move closer to the stall than with 2.5 degrees pitch. On the other hand I believe, based on 'gut feeling' rather than a numerical analysis, that if CLB power had been set and attitude had increased to but not exceeded 5 degrees pitch, that the airplane would not have stalled.
I would not disagree as the altitude margin was confortable this time, but nevertheless, I see AF447 as a compulsory trigger to modify the UAS procedure to something that makes sense in any circumstances. What would or could happen if the 5 deg NU + CLB thrust is applied when the aircraft for any reason is already around the recommended max or simply at the FMS optimal a day when that optimal is pretty close to that recommended max ?

I like that 2.5 deg + N1 between noon and one (or whatever is the reference and general figures for cruise versus eng type) ...