PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2011, 09:36
JD-EE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lone & HN, "If you feel that the language used in JE-EE's musing, or speculation, is over the top I understand."

It was rather intentionally over the top to beat its way into discussion. The resources at hand appeared to have been ignored and the PF and PNF seemed to be in different worlds. That's why I grinned like a manic monkey and dreamed up the pizza metaphor. (Um, won't cause injury except to ego and cleaning bills, will get the attention, and won't damage the plane. So that leaves out things like nerf ball guns, paper planes, and clipboard edges.)

I've developed a bad habit of dealing with one chronic problem I have using graveyard humor. If I can laugh I feel better - and if I feel better I think better. I was hoping the image was ridiculous enough to telegraph the over the top intent. Get them communicating. Get them paying attention to data they had in the cockpit. Question why some data was not present. And perhaps the most serious issue that is very human, focusing too tightly - forest and trees metaphors are traditional here.

(And, of course, way too little hands on crisis management training.)

HN - I'm just groping for an alternate explanation for his pulling on the stick and climbing the way he did. Maybe he was trying the low level stall warning recovery. But with the storm vividly on their minds enough to mention it in that taciturn cockpit setting, suggests he wanted to be up higher if he could get there. Would that have filtered into his arm's motion when he took control and pulled 8 degrees on the stick? "Maybe" His response was so quick it was almost an instinctive reaction.