PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2011, 09:24
JD-EE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lonewolf 50
JD-EE guess is founded on the idea that concern about meterological factors was near to the front of the PF's thoughts as he worked through the "Hi, I am ALT 2 Law, latched, you have the controls" flying problem. This might be considered a compatmentalization issue, and be a productive line of inquiry for pilot community consideration and lessons learned. Trouble is, there isn't all that much evidence to support this train of thought.
One other aspect of that concept of weather concern to figure in is his glider training. Unless you're landing altitude is a good thing until you run out of air, O2, or warmth.

Presuming we know all the speech type noises in the cockpit, you're dead right there's only the thinnest of suppositions there. (And I don't know why BEA might skip anything.)

Anecdote warning... I had a good physics instructor in college. By the fourth semester of honors science we'd winnowed the class down to maybe 30 people in a massive large lecture hall. He'd spend an hour on course material. Then he invited us to stay afterwards for his ramblings, never to appear in any tests. We all stayed. He was feeding a savage hunger to learn, at least in my case. I learned as much that way as I learned of the physics being taught.

Anyway - my thought is that there should be some periods after flight school for passing along hangar flying stories in ways they'd stick in pilots heads. This might make a good, "Nobody knows if this really happened or not but..." sort of story. It'd be an anecdote about losing focus on the real problem, avoiding stall, rather than the wrong problem. And the PF really did lose it big time with his remarks about the extreme wind noise possibly being over speed.

He reacted before he thought.