PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Get a life
Thread: Get a life
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2001, 03:58
scroggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neil767,
this is a bit of a cheek, as I'm closing this somewhat less-than-useful thread, but you did boast of gaining an 'A' at A-level in English.

and a lot of it's members do not have the right to judge other's ability from a typo in a quick topic they have raised or a fast reply to one in their lunch time.
DV8, yes I made a typo's in my original post, but I still got a A at A level in English Language......
You, like many contributors to Pprune, do not appear to understand the possessive apostrophe. The word "it's", with the apostrophe between the t and s, is purely and simply an abbreviation for "it is" or "it has". It exists because the word "its", without the apostrophe, means 'belonging to it' - i.e. it's the only exception to the normal possessive apostrophe rule! The word "other's" actually means 'belonging to [one] other', whereas what you mean is 'belonging to others'. Therefore, the correct expression is "others'".
The other use for an apostrophe is where letters have been removed from an expression. "Typo's", in the correct context, would be right in that the apostrophe represents the abbreviation - the word is actually typographicals - but in your context, you should have used "typo".
If you want to boast about your facility with the English language, at least make sure your boast is grammatically correct!

edited because I forgot to close the topic with this post!!

[ 01 December 2001: Message edited by: Scroggs ]