PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I want to plan!
Thread: I want to plan!
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2002, 17:20
flufdriver

Whatever happens,.. happens!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

DMP....I am on the other end of the career spectrum, in other words i am nearing retirement, here are a couple of pointers that might help to prepare you for life after aviation:

One of the best things you can do, is to acquire some additional skills, long distance learning is becoming more and more popular, you can select something that will alow you enter another field of endeavor should the need arise, you can prepare to open a business or whatever you like, (run a resthome for retired Pilots)

The key is to start early to allow you to go at an easy pace, whether it is learning or investing, the more time you have the easier it is. Many pilots nowadays have no pension to look forward to, which is the case in my situation, the advantage for me is that i always knew this to be the case and therefore accepted that it was up to me to make plans to finance the evening of my life.

I am fairly well diversified, some in mutual funds, some in real estate, some liquid and some of it trusting in my skills the earn a little bit of an income after I stop flying.

It is a lot nicer to face the future with a plan, any future!

take care!