PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How about a list of journalists, rated by their reporting skills?
Old 22nd Aug 2011, 23:36
airmail

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All,

Whilst it is obvious by my profile that I do not post that much and that I haven't posted in a while I felt that this thread actually needed some reality injected into it.

This thread was started by Danny2 as a result of the tragic accident that happened at Bournemouth last weekend and because of the reporting of the incident that happened in the aftermath (here on PPRuNe and on various websites not necessarily media ones).

I am not a journalist and have no interest in being one but if Danny2 is the same Danny that started PPRuNe then I find it extremely sad that he has reacted in this way by starting a thread like this without any thought in anyway shape or form.

The reason why I make that comment - and as any sane person will understand - is that journalism is subjective. Every single person on this site has their own favourite paper(s) because of their own likes/dislikes. To start a thread about who is or who is not a good journalist is a complete waste of time and effort as it depends on individual criteria. To start a thread such as this as a result of last weekend is in my mind disappointing and denigrates what PPRuNe was set up for.

Whilst it is right to criticise and complain against news organisations for publishing information before it is right and proper, I do think that it is fair to say that most responsible news organisations don't do that (as some have stated here) so the issues lie elsewhere. Personally, if people have an issue I would suggest that it is the editors being the ones to moan against not the journalists themselves.

If you think that I am wrong and want to have a sensible debate then I'm happy to do so - if you want to have a go then don't expect an answer

airmail