View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2011, 22:58
Ian W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Elevators alone

From JD-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian W
If (as suggested earlier) the THS had remained at NEUTRAL rather than chasing the NU input during a stall, would the PF NU inputs have been enough with elevator alone to maintain nose up into a deep stall? Was it only the added authority of the THS that allowed the aircraft to be kept in the stall
Um, no. You missed the key point. The pilot never tried ND input long enough for even the elevator to go past its neutral position. So there never was any real ND input. The elevator moved a little. But it still remained severely NU.
Um no - you miss my point . Even if he had bent the side stick backward, and held it there, on many aircraft that would have only resulted in nose drop into a stall - then after an acceleration downward nose back up then drop into a stall and so on. He was a glider pilot - that's what they do - its what most aircraft do. However, this aircraft did not drop its nose it sat back on its tail and dropped in a nice smooth (call it something no one will complain about) balanced (?) stall. As I have said - can that be done in other aircraft?
If the trim wheel had been wound forward to a cruise position - would the result have been a nose drop regardless of elevator position?

Should stall recovery procedure include manually trimming nose down?