PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How about a list of journalists, rated by their reporting skills?
Old 22nd Aug 2011, 22:43
Self Loading Freight
None but a blockhead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You do what you can. I'm a tech journalist, so sometimes get to write about aviation (was at a very odd do at Greenwich the other week, where Airbus showed off its marketing department). We do try to get things right, which means missing some stories which we can't stand up or just don't believe, and I'd be upset if we messed up on a technical point. Most of my colleagues at my company and among our competitors, ditto.

Some national journos are just as scrupulous as the best of the technical press, and others... well, they tend to work for titles with an horrendous work rate, and where you get fired if you don't regularly get stuff into the front of the book. You don't have time to get it right, but you have to make it exciting, and the editor just really cares that you don't land them in it.

Don't read those titles. If people didn't read the bad stuff, it wouldn't get written. Which is absolutely not an excuse for it, just saying how it could be shut off.

One plea: if members of the press come around on Pprune asking questions, please don't assume they're out to do evil. Although in general this is a place with great reserves of patience and good will, it can be what I believe is called a sporting ride if you pick a bad day. (On the other hand, if they're clearly out to do evil, have at 'em.)

R