PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military Aircraft L/D Ratio Question
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2011, 21:19
Jane-DoH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torque Tonight

You really come up with some out-there threads Jane. Many of them begin with 'just wondering' or 'just curious' and then ask some very specific questions (or conspiracy theories).
Well, would you rather say I'm *not* curious; then ask questions? That would sound kind of counterproductive, not to mention completely dishonest.

I find it hard to believe that anyone could be 'just curious' about the L/D of the F104C at Mach 2, high altitude with underwing and tip tanks etc etc.
I remember hearing that the L/D ratio of the F-104 was higher with the tanks on than with them off because it effectively reduced vortex formation. The F-80 Shooting Star also had a similar effect from what I read when it had wing-tanks attached for probably the same reason.

So what's the deal: are you doing an aero eng degree, do you have aeronautical OCD, are you a message board robot
I do actually have OCD. Regardless, I find aviation extremely fascinating, I have since I was about 5 (I traveled a lot). I've pretty much always been fascinated by how things work -- the mechanics behind it, the concepts and so forth.

are you reverse engineering elderly US jets for North Korea? I'm just curious.
If I had my way, North Korea would be a glowing crater of glass years ago.

cats five

Indeed a strange request - with a very long list of aircraft.
It does have a very long list of aircraft indeed and I have reasons for all the aircraft that I listed if you are curious.

John Farley

Others think so.

As for me I took 'her' seriously once (a long time ago) and sent 'her' a considered answer as a PM. I got a reply but 'she' clearly had not read what I sent.
It was actually the first or second message I received. I didn't read it as clearly as I should (I kind of breezed through it) have -- I am sorry about that. Regardless, that doesn't make me a robot (a robot would have read every word), it just means I wasn't paying as much attention as I should have.