PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reason for Going-Around
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2011, 20:46
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshear your not very likely to get anything out of us. Its very intense we are playing with single Knots of airspeed very close to the stall one pilots attention is nailed to the airspeed and attitude and the other one is calling out rates of decent. There are stick shakers going off and all manner of alarms, to be honest we proberly wouldn't hear you.

Neptune that would require every pilot in the world to be retrained to communicate, aviate then navigate. And I really don't think it would improve survival rates or for that matter decrease the number of accidents.

No pilot on this thread has said that we won't speak to you when work load permits, its just that its a growing trend that you want information and demand information when work load doesn't permit. In my discussion post event the units MATZ part 2 was quoted as the reference document that said that the pilot would give ATC the information when asked for it.

This is a very important topic and could well do with some number crunching safety academics having a proper look at the subject. Getting some emprical data into if pilots getting distracted and ATC getting the info in this situation is safer than leaving them alone and getting the information after the crew have sorted the aircraft out and are back on a safe flight profile.

Even if it proves the current status quo of pilots not talking at least it empowers the ATCO to tell who evers asking to knob off and leave them and the pilots in peace. If it proves that it is beneficial and they change our SOP's and training to reflect it I will be more than happy to comply with it.