PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is it about the Wessex that makes people so fond of it?
Old 22nd Aug 2011, 20:18
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
White Tops aka Green Parrot

I'm not entirely sure of the rotary path followed by the White House but I think its something along the lines of .. Bell 47J Ranger (USAF), Bell 205 and then onto the Sikorskys (how many different types prior to the Sea King I am unaware) with a transfer of responsibility to the Marine Corps somewhere along the way.

I am even less sure when the well known 'white top' colour scheme came into vogue but had always assumed this to be an exclusively American configuration.

You might imagine my surprise then to discover that the RN had a number of Wessex assigned to VIP duties which donned a similar green and white motif!

Westland Wessex HU5 XT772 serving with 781 Naval Air Squadron at Lee-on-Solent seen here at Southend (Rochford) in January 1979 (Photo: Richard Vandervord)

Evidently these VIP ships were nicknamed 'Green Parrots'. Does anyone have insight as to some of the VIP work these craft would have undertaken?