PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2011, 19:48
Lonewolf_50

Received 453 Likes on 285 Posts
bear, JE-EE admits she is not a pilot. If I gave her some latitude for colorful language, so be it. At the core of her musing was the issue of how important the weather was as a factor in that flying problem at hand. Given the evidence from the CVR that we do have, versus that which we don't, I am not so sure her pizza idea isn't too far from a practical remedy. (But the pizza is a metaphor for better application of standard CRM, IMO).
Originally Posted by JD-ee
... I mused a little about the state of mind of the pf. He's above a heck of a storm that was big enough to reach out and "touch" the airplane and cause airspeed indications to fail. After he overreacted and zoom climbed 1500' he found himself in stall warning conditions. He overdid the increase thrust part and under-did the ND part. I got to wondering if he was deathly afraid of descending into the storm even if it was required for stall recovery. He'd not have to descend all that much to gain back most of his lost airspeed if he reacted sensibly and rapidly. Could the fear of the storm been bouncing around in his head biasing his thinking away from the intuitively insane* ND action?
Replace term "fear" with "concern" and it's a more likely state of mind in the event under consideration. I don't think he ever got to fear, he was involved in hand flying and then a bit of 'what's it doing now' for most of the way down, if CVR excerpts are an accurate description of what transpired. As to "deathly afraid" it depends on what impact his training in re Tstorms and big buildups had on him, and how many "sea stories" he heard, or accidents he reviewed, in which a significant vertical development figured. (Won't digress on how sea stories inform how people sometimes react to malfunctions, not enough space.)
I can't help thinking, "I really really don't want to go down into that storm," was bouncing around in that poor fellow's head. So, ironically, he descended all the way down through that storm he might have been trying with all his might and soul to avoid.
In my reading, "poor fellow" comes from the fact that he is no longer among the quick. If you saw it as an indictment, OK.

Regardless of the style in presentation, I believe the matters of task management and compartmentalization, and task priority ordering are very relevant sub topics to this general topic, given the information available to date.

Machinbierd:
In this case probably not. In Alt 2 law, the aircraft is trying to hold a pitch attitude. The attitude was not an appropriate one for recovery.
If I recall this right, it is keeping a chosen pitch due to all 3 ADIRU's being cut out, right?