PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2011, 15:11
GarageYears

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"SANS WINGLIFT"? Pardonnez MOI? Something has stabilized her rapid descent at 100 knots...... DRAG, then, not lift. As you will.
I think if you re-read my post, you will note I qualify 'sans winglift'. Ah, but you have "selective reading disorder" - don't you?

The approved and trained recovery from STALL warning was working, it shows that in the traces. All that was necessary was to tweak it. TOGA, check. Maintain PITCH, oops. Find 4 degrees AoA (She did), keep the Power up, and wait. That is for 1000AGL, don't you think with seven miles of sky beneath her, it would be even easier?
Nope. Not the slightest.

a) Engine power output is reduced at altitude... something to do with 'thinner' air... see (b).

b) Air pressure, and consequently the lift--coefficient (if you like) of the air is very different - the air is "thin", yes, that would be the word in liquid terms I think. Hence you need to be going a lot faster to get the same number of molecules over the wing surface - else you plummet to the ground. Splat. (Or Ocean. Splash.)

So, what might work at 1000AGL really won't work at 7 miles up.

Physics and all that.