PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAA, rating vv medical
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2011, 15:07
pembroke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAA, rating vv medical

I know this has been done before but I think it's important and a touch of "mission creep" by the CAA. Today I asked PLD why a renewed SEP rating could not be issued to a UK lifetime PPL, without a class 1 or 2 medical. I realise, as does the PPL that the priviliges of the rating can't used without a medical, but I maintain the rating should be issued, given that the PPL passed the LST and the examiner signed the SRG 1119.
As an aside the PPL had a (NPPL) Docs. declaration and may well obtain a Class 2, or continue the NPPL, SSEA route
I was quoted AIC W 053/2001(June) and the FE handbook as reference. It was also put to me that if a licence doesn't have a medical it is no longer valid, and therefore can't contain a rating! It's a licence , in this case "lifetime" but in theory doesn't exist. I asked how an expired licence or a lifetime licence can contain old ratings, ie no longer valid, again I was quoted the AIC. (In my case , and in my licence,I remember the DC-10 and B737 well, sorry 10yrs ago!)
Re the AIC, I quote (para 3.3) "Similarly, an aircraft rating other than SSEA,SLMG or microlight cannot be revalidated or renewed without a Class 1 or 2 medical being in force". That is simply wrong.
Re the 2010 FE handbook, Sect. 2 , 2.3 gives some advice on checking the medical but importantly doesn't stop the reval./renewal process if the medical is out of date. Also the flow chart on Appx 9-2/3 doesn't require a check of the medical.
Comments please.
PS I was also told this will change again under EASA!