PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2011, 13:16
Clandestino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Zorin_75
It's a garden-variety stall, do we need a special name for it?
We might. Highly loaded, extremely efficient, high Mach no limited wing goes over 45° AoA - and it doesn't spin in the process!! This could even be below-garden-variety stall.

Originally Posted by Machinbird
I think the deep stall description is warranted. Sixty-one degrees final AOA was closer to Broadside to the wind than to flying.
Contingent on final analysis, we might call it FCIMDS: flight controls induced and maintained deep stall.

Originally Posted by Lyman
powerful engines
Engine power is meaningless, if not compared to weight. It also falls off with altitude.

Originally Posted by Lyman
What a PILOT believes, is reality
If we only could make this solipsism true, we'd get rid of the CFIT once and for all.

Originally Posted by RR NDB
There are some ways to present to the crew an imediate understanding
Like having all instrument except speed working reliably? Forget it - it's already patented.

Airbus SAS failure
No SAS on FBW Airbuses.

Originally Posted by RR NDB"
Their a/c are designed to operate for random (time) failure of Pitot tubes and NOT simultaneous (brief) erratic data coming from the redundant sensors. This certainly was consider highly improbable in the design.
It was considered probable. Your statement is not true. Airbus can operate with simultaneous (long) erratic data coming from redundant sensors. It will operate in degraded mode, though but aeroplane will be certainly able of making it to stop on the runway in one piece.

The importance of AS is considered so high, there are THREE redundant elements supplying this info to the a/c.
Bingo. So attitude. So altitude. So heading.

Originally Posted by CONF iture"
Same reply : Attitude is the objective, but 36 ways to reach that goal, how smooth or not you can or want to be is the director of your inputs.
Sure there are but only one is correct: smooth and precise. 5° might be 4° to 6° but never 12°.

Originally Posted by CONF iture
flying by own senses is known as not believing the instruments, this is another matter.
So we agreed that your question "what do you do when feeling G" was irrelevant in context of instrument flying? That those who fly be feel when robbed of external visual reference more often succumb to illusions than not?

Understand you're pretty close to perfection when flying instruments, never get tired never misjudge your inputs in order to proceed to an attitude change, so never need to adjust the initial input to get things smoother as they are already.
No sir, I'm not even close to perfection but my striving to achieve it keeps me within tolerances required to stay within the bounds of controlled flight.

On my side, to be honnest, it would probably take me a couple of minutes at night in turbulence and my level of stress. From 350 I figure soon enough I'll reach 4 and 5 degrees of AoA and that bloody stall warning.
And that is exactly why not everyone can be a pilot. Anyone can do my job when everything is going just fine. I was selected, trained and paid to quickly and correctly identify and perform the correct thing to do when things go pear shaped quickly and unexpectedly. BTW, if you fumble with QRH and reach 5° AoA in level flight you will be at so low mach, you'll get no stall warning at 5°. That is provided your stall warning system has valid mach input to adjust its warning threshold. If not - remember that stall warning is not stall itself. Yet.

But are not you the one to teach your FOs how 5 degrees of pitch magically equal 5 degrees of AoA when unable to reach higher ?
We don't call it magic sir. We call it "aerodynamics" and "performance". I admit it must look magic to someone unfamiliar with either, just as instant light at flick of the switch would look magical to medieval man.

Originally Posted by CONF iture"
actually it must be a delight flying with such the Professional you are - Some are luckier than others - I do appreciate your patience too - BTW I still expect to graduate next year ...
Thank you for your kind compliments, sir. I'll certainly let my effohs know how lucky you consider them to be. I wish you all the best for your graduation.

Originally Posted by AlphaZuluRomeo
A friend of mine, chopper pilot (ex-military), told me of his IMC trainings without ADI/horizon
Correct, it's called partial panel flying, I did id too during my training and IMHO loss of horizon was the most difficult to handle of all partial panels. Good thing nowadays I have four independent horizon references in front of me. Head-up Guidance System, if you wonder what is fourth.