PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2011, 13:03
GarageYears

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bearfoil:

What did her in I think is the engineers who harpooned her in the ass with that THS.
Sans wing lift, I presume you believe the thrust of the two engines is somehow going to haul the 200 tons this aircraft weighs up in to the sky? OK, so even if we assume that the wings are still producing some lift (say 75%), that still leaves 50 tons...

Once in the stall, the only valid recovery is to reduce AoA and regain wing lift. Pegging the throttles to the end-stops is only going to induce more NU, which is the opposite of what was needed.

The harpooning was done by the PF in the first 30 seconds - pitch up, climb, loose all the necessary energy to FLY. What happened after that was futile, since the single most important issue was wing-lift... it was gone.

PF demanded NU, the aircraft continued to deliver, the THS was 'requested' to help out with this NU demand. I do not subscribe to any other way of explaining what happened. Without the pilot NU input, there is no THS NU.

...a non-conventional recovery would have worked. I believe it almost did, save for the THS planted FULLNU
Where do you see any evidence to support this? The THS was not 'planted' NU until pretty late in the game, certainly way past the point the aircraft stopped flying and went ballistic.