PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2011, 09:28
rudderrudderrat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Clandestino,
People who don't understand that if they pull and nose doesn't come up (EDIT: sorry, I wrote that terribly wrong the first time), there are 99.99% chances they are stalled, are usually not allowed to go solo in gliders, microlights or light aeroplanes, let alone climb the ladder to professional aviation.
You are presumably referring to pilots using conventional controls (i.e. Direct Law).

AF 447 crew never felt the nose drop as they approached the stall.
The FBW computers would do their best to maintain attitude (when stick free) by the use of full elevator + stab trim. Any attempt to pitch up more (to satisfy a back stick request) would only fail when they had run out of both elevator and stab trim authority.

Then they may have realised the clues in your initial statement - but sadly they did not recognise that they had stalled.
edit. Their brains seem to have filtered out the "stall stall" heard through their ears (in the same way one can filter out unwanted conversation in a noisy room when trying to chat with someone.)
I believe a vibrator / shaker felt through the hand would grab PF's attention better.

Last edited by rudderrudderrat; 22nd Aug 2011 at 11:22. Reason: spelling & extra text