PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will I ever go solo?
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2011, 20:15
TractorBoy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quinze - first of all I can't believe the level of hostility that some people are directing at you. OK so you're a new poster and might not have provided in-depth analysis regarding your problem and it has rung alarm bells with some people, but you should be given the benefit of the doubt!

Anyway - back to your problem. I'd be interested to know more about your previous school. I noticed you posted on another thread about it and some people are even suggesting that they weren't qualified to teach GA! (if thats the same school)

Even if they were - don't forget that your new school has only seen you for 8 hours. They have to satisfy themselves that you're OK to fly before sending you solo. They haven't been involved in your development up to this point. If your previous school was as ropey as you say, then they may have doubts about the quality of training you have received. Secondly, its not a good idea to have several instructors (especially in just 8 hours). Find one you like and stick to them!

However, there are a few comments I agree with.

1. If you're not happy about something, go and ask. Make a noise! Its your cash and its expensive enough at the best of times.

2. Learning to fly is a very proactive discipline. You should not expect to be prompted to do your ground exams. You know you have to do them. If they do ground school, then sign up. If they don't, get on and do it yourself or find someone that can teach you. You must learn to take decisions yourself. When you're on your own at 5000ft and the engines developing a problem, there's no one to hold your hand!

Hope thats slightly more helpful than some of the other responses you've had.