PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2011, 19:28
RetiredF4

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Clandestino
When pilot is handflying by sole reference to instruments, it is important to keep movement smooth and precise to avoid unnecessary maneuvering that might upset pilot's sense of balance and induce illusions of turning or banking. Pilots who, when without outside visual reference, start flying by their senses instead by their instruments, get far more often killed than not. That is known fact that is with us since there were first instrument flights and no amount of sophistication and automation is able to isolate us from it, as was correctly, in more general terms, predicted by Antoine de Saint-Exupery.

So, as instrument rated pilot, I don't fly by feeling Gs, I fly by reference to my instruments

Let me add to that, it is not only refence to the flight instruments, but also to the performance instruments .

It ís in the former mentioned reference upset recovery training at the beginning.

Flying is mainly energy management. With autopilot and autothrust combined with low drag aircraft and strong engines it seems to be a forgotten fact.

It is not understandable to change altitude (intentional or unintentional) without attention to powersetting, speed change and vvi change. Change attitude, change power, except you want to accelerate in diving or decelerate in climbing. No need to wait what the speed will be doing, because that can bring one already behind the aircraft.